Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Blast From the Past Part 2- Emmitt Smith Stipple Drawing

During the end of my high school days, I discovered the art of stippling and immediately became obsessed with this technique. While I always felt that I had decent pencil/charcoal skills, I didn't consider myself a serious artist, as I felt that there were still flaws in my execution. Stippling, however, seemed to come a lot more natural to me.

The following drawing of former NFL star Emmitt Smith was one of my earliest attempts at stippling. I was never a football fan, but I saw this picture in a magazine and thought it would be a good way to hone my stippling skills. Done in 1996, it was completed over the course of a week on 16" x 20" Bristol paper.


Unfortunately, as a result of being in storage over the past 15 years, there are a few wrinkles that show up on this piece. Regardless, I'm really happy with how it turned out, considering how new I still was to stippling.

No comments:

Post a Comment