Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Blast From the Past- Will "The Thrill" Clark Charcoal Piece

For my first 'official' post here, I thought I'd pay tribute to a piece I created back in high school (1996). I created this piece during my senior year and it's one that I've remained proud of for many years. 

I was a big Will Clark fan growing up, so when my high school art teacher informed me and my classmates one day that we would be creating a charcoal-based drawing of any subject of our choosing, I gravitated not only to a baseball-related subject, but specifically to an action shot of Clark that I found in a magazine.

With this piece, I tried to recreate the image of him in mid-swing. Clark was well-known for having one of the sweetest swings in baseball, and I felt that it was the aspect of his game that would best lend itself to a project such as this. Here is a photo of the end result:


The lighting of the photo isn't the best, but I'm proud of the essence with which Clark's swing was captured.

This piece was created on 18" x 24" Bristol drawing paper, and it took around 2 weeks to complete, working at intervals of around 1-2 hours per day.

I recently obtained Clark's autograph on a 3x5 index card, and I'm hoping to have it matted and framed along with this piece in the near future. I will post pictures once it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment